In- Vitro Fertilization or IVF today, is quite a common well known phenomenon. But it was not long ago when this was a puzzling and strange phenomenon. Even today many parts of our country refuse to believe in it and believes it as a taboo. You must have heard the term “test tube baby”. It was a misnomer as the baby is concieved outside the mother’s womb.
Where did IVF come from?
It was in 1978, in England when Louise Brown invented this process and concieved a baby outside a woman’s womb. This was first introduced in USA during 1981 and then brought to other parts of the world.
What is In -Vitro Fertilization?
It is a series of procedure in which the eggs from the woman and sperm from the man is combined. To form an embryo outside the female body in the lab. Once the embryo forms it is placed into the mother’s uterus. And then after 9 months a healthy baby is born.
However it is a long and expensive procedure. That requires immense patience from the woman’s side.
When to consider IVF as a treatment option ?
In the following cases IVF is in consideration.
- Endometriosis ( A painful condition in which extra tissue lining grows outside the uterus)
- Low sperm count
- Poor quality egg
- Unexplained fertility issue
- Any Genetic disease
These can cause infertility and further difficulty in having children. Infertility can be in both men and woman. It is never simple. Moreover it can have several causes behind it. While IVF is a safe option, it certainly is not the first one. Couples must always visit an infertility clinic and take their doctor’s advice. They should rule out all the other line of treatment actions and then go forward for IVF.
Success Rate of IVF in India :
Typically, as of 2020
- The women in the age group of less than 35 years have a success rate of 42%.
- Age group of 35 to 37 years have 36% success rate
- 38-39 years have 28% success rate
- Age group of 40-42 years have 19%
- 43 to 44 years old women with 7% success rate
- Women’s age more than 45 years have the least that is 2% success rate
Therefore, you can observe that with increasing age of women the chance of having a healthy baby via IVF decreases. But this will also change because huge amount of researches are going on in this field to increase the age group pattern.
What should you expect in the IVF treatment plan :
IVF involves various steps. Let’s briefly discuss about them.
- Firstly it involves injecting the mother with shots of hormones. This helps in multiple egg production instead of a single one.
- Then the mother undergoes several tests that determines whether she is ready for egg retrieval.
- If she is ready, the retrieval process starts. Meanwhile the mother is on a few medication that accelerates the ovulation phenomenon.
- With the due timing, before the egg retrieval your doctor might suggest some blood tests.
- The blood test or an USG will provide information about the egg.
- The IVF facility will ask you to follow a few pre and post op precautions.
- On the day of the procedure, the mother will be under mild sedation. And the treatment will carry on.
- Along with that, the sperm will be taken from the father.
- If there is no complication, then Both the parents will return home on the same day.
- When the embryos are ready, the parents will return. And the doctor will transfer the embryo on the mother’s uterus.
For whatever reason may be, this is an artificial procedure that you decided to choose. Hence there are complications also. A few of them are :
- The major complication is multiple birth. As a precaution, your doctor might transfer 2 to 3 embryos. That can many times lead to twins or even triplets.
- Birth Defects to the baby.
- Spread of infectious disease if the egg or sperm comes from a donor with infection history.
- Pre mature delivery and in many cases miscarriage.
- And last but not the least Low birth weight.
In Conclusion, it is your decision to make. There are always other options including surrogacy and adoption. Keeping in mind all the pros and cons of the situation you and your partner must go forward with your choice. IVF always will take a toll on your partner’s physical, mental and emotional health. Finance is also a crucial part of it. Seek help from a counselor and speak with your doctor for a better and helpful judgement call. And never lose your hope for having your child.
- All about COVID-19 Vaccines : Did you get Vaxxed yet? - September 7, 2021
- How to Educate yourself about your Mental & Emotional Health - September 7, 2021
- Step by Step Guide for In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF) - August 27, 2021