What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear about the phrase “mental health”. If its not something insane then congratulations. You are a self aware human being. Accepting the fact that mental health is as important as physical well being if not more is a huge improvement. So for further clarification lets discuss more about the topic.
What is Mental Health ?
It is the emotional wellness of a human being. And is often viewed as an adult problem. But in reality it is an issue that people from age group 2 to 100 years put up with.
Several studies have shown that 30% of the urban adolescent population. And 19% of the rural Indian population suffer from mental health issues. In India often these complications remain undiagnosed throughout a teenager’s life. Because their parents or peers cannot or don’t want to understand the signs and symptoms. And label them as moody. Further with time when they become adults all these difficulties leads to other serious psychological problems.
Let’s talk Statistics :
As of 2019, a few haunting stories came up in the form of surveys. India leads the world with being the most depressed country. Over 40,000 students committed suicide in last 5 years. In such case every hour we lose a student in our country. And the worst part is the whole population still thinks mental illness to be a taboo. And stigmatize around it. This graph is even higher when it comes to adults. Over 200 million adults suffer from some or the other form of emotional issue. Yet they don’t seek help or go to a professional.
Here we will talk about the influence of mental and emotional health in adults –
Importance of mental health education :
- Firstly, Its primary goal is to spread awareness about the subject matter.
- Secondly Acceptance is the key. To believe in it and maintain a positive mental health is crucial
- Another goal is to recognize the signs and symptoms within yourself and your loved ones.
- Small tiny changes occur in a person that can lead to mental illnesses in future. If noticed earlier these can be diagnosed and treated.
- This can save lives. When you start understanding the problems you tend to acknowledge it. It aids in acquiring help more easily.
- When you know the issue you know where to go for assistance. Getting support and asking for guidance will help you winning half of your war.
- Last but not the least, Education will help to eliminate the taboo around the subject. The more people talk about it openly over television or groups the more included it will make the survivors feel included and normal.
Where can you learn about Mental Health :
It is an immense part of the development of our health care system in the country. Now you can learn or acquire knowledge about mental health with online courses. Or even hospitals and institutions are providing opportunities for you to grasp the concept. And you can also pursue a career off of it. Several universities conducts webinars and seminars for you to attend. This aids into your better understanding of the topic.
Signs and Symptoms of Mental Illness :
- Extreme mood swings
- Feeling of constant tiredness and low energy
- No willpower to complete your basic tasks
- Feeling Sad or down
- Inability to concentrate
- Sudden bursts of anger
- Sleep cycle issue or Insomnia
- Weight loss or gain
- Not getting hungry
- Loss in interest
Mental health affect all the aspect of your life. You might have heard people saying that it is not real because you can see its symptoms. But all the above mentioned signs are of some kind of mental illness. It is important to remember that we all have our highs and lows. But change in your demeanor means you need help. You might think that may be you are being lazy. Nevertheless you are your own judge. No one can understand you better than yourself. Therefore whenever you get a feeling of increased worry, panic, anxiety or stress. Do any of the above symptoms ring any bell? If yes then its time to get help of a professional and recover.
In Conclusion, you must appreciate the only way to stay in good mental health is to talk about your emotions. Whenever you feel troubles confide with your loved ones or speak to a professional. Its vital to take care of yourself. Eat well, exercise and recognize the things you love. And when in case don’t shy away from asking for help without over analyzing about what others will think. Always remember to love yourself and stay happy.
- All about COVID-19 Vaccines : Did you get Vaxxed yet? - September 7, 2021
- How to Educate yourself about your Mental & Emotional Health - September 7, 2021
- Step by Step Guide for In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF) - August 27, 2021